Both New York State and New York City have recently announced stricter protections against workplace harassment. The new pieces of legislation focus on workplace training and policies, as well as procedures for when a harassment claim is made.
For both the city and state, the required training must be interactive and contain:
- an explanation of sexual harassment
- examples of actions that would qualify as sexual harassment
- relevant federal and state laws
- information on employees’ rights when filing a complaint
The NY State Department of Labor and the NY State Division of HUman Rights has also outlined what must be included in a compliant policy. Some examples of what must be included, as outlined by MSK, are:
- a statement prohibiting sexual harassment;
- examples of prohibited conduct that would constitute sexual harassment;
- a standard complaint form
- the procedure for a timely and confidential investigation of complaints; and
- a statement that retaliation against individuals reporting sexual harassment or who testify or assist in any proceddings is unlawful.
For more details, please click here.
For more on OperationsInc’s Sexual Hasrassment Prevention & Awareness Training, please click here.