The New York City Department of Consumer Affairs has released updates to the Earned Safe and Sick Time Act, revising the Notice of Employee Rights.
The notice, which went into effect May 5th, must be provided to all new hires, and provided to all current employees by June 4th.
Additionally, employers are advised to update relevant policies to include the updated definitions of “safe time” and “family member”.
Epstein Becker Green outlines the following steps for employers:
- Replace the prior Notice of Employee Rights document under ESTA with the revised notice under ESSTA, and provide this revised notice to:
- all new employees going forward, and
- all current employees by June 4, 2018.
- Update handbook policies pertaining to sick time to:
- indicate that time may be taken for “safe time” reasons, and
- include the broader definition of “family member.”
For more on the revisions, please click here.